austinchapman

James Swallow
The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. A: Middle Ages
Stephen Greenblatt, Alfred David, James Simpson, M.H. Abrams
Progress: 331/543 pages

My Reading Habits (The Survey)

This seems like fun, so here goes:

1. Do you have a certain place in your home for reading?

I read in my Lazy Boy in the living room of my apartment. To the left is the kitchen, always ignored while reading. To the right is a window facing mostly west, necessitating an artificial light source in the morning and night but rarely in the afternoon. To the right and behind the chair is a door letting out onto the balcony. Some reading occurs here on warm days. In South Carolina, this is most of the year and on random days in winter.

I also occasionally read magazines in bed... umm, history magazines, mind you!

2. Bookmark or random piece of paper?

Bookmark, for sure. I have one that says "I like big books, and I cannot lie!" This one shares a home with an assortment of Star Trek bookmarks.

3. Can you  just stop reading or do you have to stop read after a chapter / certain number of pages?

I must read at least one chapter whenever I sit down for a reading. My mind cannot tolerate atomic levels of reading.

4. Do you eat or drink while reading?

Eating distracts, so no. Drinking... only after a section break.

5. Multitasking: music or TV while reading?

Absolutely not. Like eating, it distracts.

6. One book at a time or several at once?

One at a time, unless one of the books is divided into discrete units (like The Norton Anthology of English Literature).

7. Reading at home or everywhere?

Mostly at home... sometimes in the car when I know I'll be sitting somewhere long enough to read a chapter or article.

8. Reading out loud or silently in your head?

Silently.

9. Do you read ahead or even skip pages?

I avoid reading ahead as though it were a presentiment of my doom.

10. Barking the spine or keeping it like new?

I am no dog, to bark up the spine as though it were a tree. I don't break it either. Books are sacred objects.

11. Do you write in your books?

No. That's what notebooks, pads, receipts, and opened envelopes are for.